World Community Grid

Most of the time, we hardly use about 10-20% of our computer’s resources and the rest 80% odd is wasted.  By being a part of the World Community Grid, a small part of an application runs in the background of your PC thus contributing your computing power to getting results on a lot of projects.

The grid works on projects worldwide like

  • Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy – Phase 2
  • Influenza Antiviral Drug Search
  • Help Fight Childhood Cancer
  • The Clean Energy Project
  • Nutritious Rice for the World
  • Help Conquer Cancer
  • Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together
  • Human Proteome Folding – Phase 2 Project
  • FightAIDS@Home Project

What Grid Computing does is to join together many individual computers, creating a large system with massive computational power that far surpasses the power of a handful of supercomputers. Because the work is split into small pieces that can be processed simultaneously, research time is reduced from years to months. The technology is also more cost-effective, enabling better use of critical funds.

world community grid

World Community Grid runs on software called BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing, developed at University of California, Berkeley, USA with funding from NSF (National Science Foundation).  It is powered by none other than IBM.

What is World Community Grid?

World Community Grid’s mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. Our work is built on the belief that technological innovation combined with visionary scientific research and large-scale volunteerism can change our world for the better. Our success depends on individuals – like you – collectively contributing their unused computer time to this not-for-profit endeavor.

How can you help?

Donate the time your computer is turned on, but is idle, to projects that benefit humanity! We provide the secure software that does it all for free, and you become part of a community that is helping to change the world. Once you install the software, you will be participating in World Community Grid. No other action must be taken; it’s that simple!

For years, i have been a member of the World Community Grid and have contributed my computer’s resources for the project.  A badge of which is visible on the right side of this post.  My moniker is full2njoy and am part of a team called India.

Go to the World Community Grid website for more information on how you can do your part for this project.



  1. Kiran says:

    I’ve been using World Community Grid (now called BOINC client) for years now – and its really good – I have returned several days worth of results. I think this is a really good cause – and the best part is it harnesses only the idle resources of your computer.

    I urge everyone to give it a try.

  2. Liju Philip says:

    i too have been using it for years. And ya, one can finetune how much resources the software will use on your machine.

  3. Indyeah says:

    oh!! I never knew this! bro uses it and I never got curious enough to ask …
    thanks for sharing..will def use this now.

  4. Kiran says:

    @Liju Philip
    And you know what? I’ve been promoting this on my blog; but at the bottom. I htink its not having the desired effect. I’l take a leaf out of your blog and put up the link to WCG somewhere near the top of my blog .. lets see if it grabs attention 🙂

  5. Sunny says:

    Nice share!

  6. Liju Philip says:

    try it out, its good

    thanks for dropping by

    yup put it up at the top of the blog, somewhere its more noticeable.

  7. Cinty says:

    i want to develop a pjeroct on grid computing(final year group pjeroct)how long will it take to implement grid on a small network(eg of 5 PCs)are there any tutorials or online guidance of some kind availablethanx

Comments are closed.