A bit late doing my year end ritual as i was traveling. There were a more downs than ups in the year 2016. A brief summary.
- Finished 4 papers of my CFP exams (Risk, Investment, Retirement & Tax Planning modules). If not for a lot of interruptions, would have attempted the Advanced Financial Planning module in November itself. As of now, its pushed into the new year.
- Read just 5 books in the whole year. While i read a whole lot of other literature. Broadened my reading interests into medicine, astronomy, personal finance, behavioral finance, company annual reports etc
- Watched more than 90 odd movies.
- For the first time started watching TV series and a whole new world of entertainment opened for me. Once i started watching TV Series, i lost interest in movies. Watched all seasons of House of Cards, Breaking Bad, The Americans, Narcos, The Night Manager, Billions, Banshee (2 seasons), Homeland (1 season) & The Good Wife.
- Traveled a lot. Multiple trips to Bangalore, Kerala, Delhi, Ghaziabad, Haldwani-Kathgodam, Srinagar-Srikot (Uttarakhand)
- A loved one had a real health scare and i spent more than 20 days at the hospital attending to him. Watching death from such close quarters made me realise the importance of being healthy.
- Towards end of October, started going for early morning walk/jogs. Tried to stick judiciously to the daily 10000 steps target throughout the year. Did a lot of calisthenics (body weight exercises), some free weights and aerobics. In just about 5-6 weeks was able to have a better toned body and dropped a few cms from the waist line.
- For the 5th year running, the annualized returns of my equity portfolio beat the annualized returns of the Sensex. Its not something that i consciously ever worked upon, but it just happened. Some of the best performing stocks in the portfolio were Sonata Software, Hindalco, Bharat Forge, Rallis, Gruh Finance.
- The blog got hacked and i had to totally wipeout the site and rebuild. I had infrequent and incomplete backups and so restoration was a pain. For an IT guy, not having proper backups of the website was a big mistake to commit. Didnt matter much as i hardly blogged in the past year. Had thoughts of letting the domain name go, but i have already been holding the domain name for more than 6-7 years now. I have some interesting plans for the same in the future.
As always, the new year presents more challenges and am actually looking forward with much more excitement.